Sunday morning

Over the last few years I've come more as a morning person than nocturnal. Waking up by seven o'clock or eight to the late, even on weekends. I get restless otherwise, mind and body don't need excess of nothing. Weekend mornings tend to be quiet here in the district. Most of the people were either awake until morning for drinks, or busy gaming, TV series, talking politics. This city loves politics. If you're in the district then you'll not escape from the the bug of politics. You'll often see black and long cars of congressmen, entourage of Harley-Davidson police motorcycles with sirens blaring. Politics and power.

This city is a prime destination for tourists when it's not cold. I've never had a chance to venture out to enjoy the luxuries of a tourist - to bite breakfast. I incredibly love going to old-fashioned joints whence on travels, grab something to eat, savor coffee, pour again and soak coffee's nose flaring smell. Sit, order, wait patiently for warm breakfast, stirring sugar in bone-china coffee mug with spoon clanks, fiddling with the left-overs. Taking time to eat, with none of the things bothering, sipping coffee. I miss those times. 
I had wanted to be traveler this time in DC - to have breakfast. I woke up without alarm, looked for a joint near the Capitol Hill. The weather was moist with humidity, warming up for the heat ahead of day and showers. I reached destination without much fuss. As I was by self I initially sat on the booth (bartender one), got hold of the morning newspaper along with ordered coffee. Turning paper around, avoiding any gloomy news. After few minutes I got ruffled with last night's ingredients on the booth and moved to another separate table. The restaurant was not full to the capacity but crowd was bustling in. Infants neither eating, nor having their parents eat. I ordered something warm to eat, pouring coffee after coffee from thermos. 
I didn't realize by the time my plate was empty, my attention was all around - kids, coffee, newspaper, mind racing, trying to live as much on a nice Sunday morning. I asked for the bill while sipping coffee. I paid and sat to read newspaper. I am fond of rustles of page turn-over and nothing is more fulfilling than a fresh newspaper in morning and coffee (at times tea). I decided not to go coffee high and headed back to apartment, feeling content.    
 
PS: I went to Ted's Bulletin


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inferno - worth a read?

Standing in snow

Around DC