Catching up with events in DC

By no means I'm connected to art, not even in the remotest way. I'm awful with drawings, writings, performances or any other form which necessitates creativity or, and ingenuity. I profoundly lack artistic skills. I never learnt, never developed or perhaps had them in me. Never did I focus or knew what art is until I saw friends engaging in poems and similar works.
Back in school couple of participation once or twice in Annual function at Ravindra Natya Grah or playground, but things never took off. For live shows I never had the massive desire to go to rock bands, nor I could know where and what to look out for such things. Also, given their location and exorbitant prices they were always a let go.

But sometimes there always comes a window of opportunity. There were mass e-mails at my earlier workplace regarding blood donation drive or, corporate social responsibility (CSR) or any other outing. Out of curiosity I never stopped checking them and one fine day there was one about an event at Shanmukhananda Auditorium, Sion, Mumbai. Ticket for the event fitted into my pocket, had heard one song from artists (Salim-Sulaiman). Given budget and charting into untested waters I opted for cheapest seat in balcony. Show was really nice and by the end of it aura was extremely enchanting. Loved every part of it except my colleague didn't join for he had stitches from an accident last night. Yeah, such is life.

With progression of time I started to keep tab on events and see if I'd really enjoy going or would I be able to get an idea or rationale behind any art?
Fast forward I moved to the national capital area (The District). In my proximity exist Kennedy center, University auditorium, stand-up comedy circuit, National Theatre among others. I have been to watch performances by Zakir Hussain, Hariharan, Anoushka Shankar, Vir Das. Yeah, I tend not to lean on loud or rock events. These people share stories of journey to the place, hectic schedule, thought process behind the piece performed. I love those short anecdotes during the performance. Simply charming and speak volumes about dedication, restlessness and mountain of efforts.

Next, I'm going for a show by Bill Burr. More than the person or event, DC weather amplifies the show's beauty by large magnitude. Relish walking in DC. I'm totally in for performances and always like to catch up with them. May performers share more personal and fun stories.



     


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inferno - worth a read?

Standing in snow

Around DC