When one says I am rigid

One of the top class hypocritical stuff I come across is when someone asks me what I like and having shared on it, one biting reply I get is I am picky. WAIT, what!?

I can write a thesis on my preferences and on each and every part I've got a snarky reply upon asked or sharing. Berth preference side lower in train. Aisle seat in flight. Warm breakfast, lunch or any other meal. Stitched clothes. This list is endless and can go on for any random thing. I get these replies from people who themselves are extremely adamant and shall not budge even a tenth of milli-meter in either direction. Yeah, surprised to know reality?
Let me explain, someone has made his/her mind for a vehicle of a certain variant and particular shade. Person would ask upon sharing his/her preference, after listening and having me/us go through all stuff the final verdict would be - I'm going to stick to the one I started on. I am like, kill me now and punch those stapler pins in my palm. Jeans? person has fixed his/her choice of color, design and shall try couple of options. After running through number of outlets, he/she would go to the first shop where garment of his choice is and was available. Food? If someone doesn't like sweet taste in food, believe me that dish is going to be untouched by that person throughout the course of meal on any given day.
This is applicable to any sphere of life - relationship, work, research, outing, traveling and you name it. This rigidity has sunk comfortably in everyone and yet I hear that over conversations from multiple people.

I've had these long conversations with people who say: "yes, yes, and hmm, ummm, Yea - I get it, I understand, No, you're saying correct" and hundreds of consenting replies, such as one gets from the most decent listeners of the world. After the phone is hung up, people are to do what they were and had decided. Yikes. And I'm choosy? Really?

I don't understand this. When I've had no such preferences I got replies as if I'm totally useless and don't try things. I don't know what is out there. I don't have any taste. I don't experiment and what not crap. I've no knowledge. I'm flexible. And now, this. This?
I hear I need to be more flexible, I've to be more open to options, I'm picky, go with the flow, yada, yada. Pfft!
Like everyone I too have decided my tastes. I prefer them and have developed them over numerous trials. I'm open if preference ain't there, I'm to go for the preferred one from the least preferred ones. Nonetheless, I yearn to try and seek plethora of things. Yet thrown are the barbs of me being inflexible.

When people say I'm rigid I'm totally out of words and can't do nothing but to gulp a huge sigh. Sigh.

Happy month end.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inferno - worth a read?

Standing in snow

Around DC