Review: Rain II Thai Food

Apart from Indian cuisine, I enjoy Thai food among others. For the first time I'd Thai food was in Washington, DC after I moved there in 2015. It was served in a seminar, all the more reasons to attend talks. My boss used to pick on me for it. He knew where to find me when there was an invited talk for I attended these for food only. Initially I had my reservations for it as I were to move out of mental blocks to try noodles, hold sticks, lumped rice and meat laden dishes served. For the sake of not eating my self-cooked food I tried dishes which to my surprise ended up really good for my palate and bowel. It ended up served in repeated occasions which made me choose Thai food if possible whenever checking out restaurants. 

Last week or two back with a colleague I visited Rain II restaurant near West 168th street (close to Columbia University Medical Center). He owed me food for all genetics data sharing and cranking I did. I've visited this place around 3-5 times for lunch now in last 12 months. From first look at the doors it doesn't look promising, however. It's a spacious place with wide area where people can move around without bumping into one another. It's never been crowded where one has to wait for even 15-20 mins to get a table. Restaurant has big wide windows allowing natural light in abundance. Along with that has wooden interiors, lightings are perfect given the color and nature of retro look that radiates much desired atmosphere for a restaurant. 

In lunch, for appetizers you can choose from either salad, or spring role which is served with thick mild spicy-sweet sauce (one piece, only). garnished with one coriander leaf. For the main dish I'd ordered Basil Udon Noodle with tofu. Menu offers Tofu, chicken or shrimp to pick when ordering main dish. This was my first time I'd Udon noodle. Noodles were thick, slimy and easy to get hold in fork. It was delicious with all the blended veggies. I found it a bit spicy in the back of my tongue. Probably it was the hotness or I picked up wrong noodle in rush for my empty stomach. The noodles were soft, tender with no flaws and melted once slurped. We weren't provided with chopsticks. 

The meal had costed us under $30 for two persons without alcohol that's hard to find in Manhattan, NY. We didn't order any desserts as they were missing from the menu; quite puzzling. The restroom was clean with no foul odor, and besides more importantly the staff was friendly. Server did timely service for bringing water, taking orders and making sure the orders were right. 

Cons: I was left with my stomach less filled with the quantity served. Perhaps I went hungrier than I'm usually but my stomach yelled at me after couple of hours. 
Pros: Reasonable price and delicious food. It makes a compelling food worth your time. The servers were accommodating when asked for water without ask.

If I could recommend something to this place was better greetings when the guests are leaving and entering. It would be naive to judge this place by the look, surrounding neighborhood but the services and food are superb for office gathering, a casual date.

  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inferno - worth a read?

Standing in snow

Around DC