Around DC

Since the beginning of this year I immersed self in reading. One of the reasons was to surpass my last year's book tally and also, to read the vast number of classics available through library at my institution. In this effort I got engrossed and detached with outer world. There were few places in DC I'd wanted to go and would love to visit again and again. 

Breaking the monotony I visited Library of Congress and Capitol Hill. I started my day at Library of Congress (LOC). I joined on time to get first tour. In there, personnel would took us through one of the rare collections of Bible, their manufacturing contents, the temperatures these treasures are maintained at. Over the tour you'd get to know meanings of different symbolisms in architecture - how sculptures are looking in a certain direction, various other props. Tour ends with an panoramic view of the library through a glass walled balcony. Library hosts one of the largest and rarest world's collections including inauguration hand written letters from very earliest presidents. If you're bookmark enthusiast this place is definitely recommended to you. The tour lasts for about 45-60 mins after which you're free to roam in library, read descriptions of different paintings and archives.

I was less interested in constitutional and America's history, thus hurried to exit LOC. En route to exit I found there's a connecting tunnel for Capitol Hill and made my mind to visit it. After security check and short walk I entered to the majestic Capitol Hill. It screens short documentary about brief history and importance of Capitol Hill in specific intervals. I grabbed something for lunch whilst there was time for next screening. As always the music in these short screenings is nothing short of incredible. Post screening there's was a tour of the Capitol Hill where personnel handed over earphones to entourage to listen to the vast array of information as they spoke. Tour goes at very decent pace through different architecture and its fallacies, halls, painters names, tomb's construction and destruction, 3D paintings in the tomb, castings of important figures of the nation, costs and plethora of pertinent points. Tour lasts for 60 or so minutes and worth very minute. While exiting I bought fridge magnet and left for LOC to get fridge magnet of it to add to my collection.

Such places are phenomenally fascinating to me like no others things. Having visited these I again buried myself into reading and been thinking where next to go and explore in DC. 

Happy long weekend. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Standing in snow

Books from yesteryear